Hacked Off's guide to PR positivity
Date: 11 June 2012 10:35
It is easy to worry if you work in PR. After all, the weather is awful and the economy isn’t looking too hot. All the negativity in the news, and the misery from everyone around you, can lead to sleepless nights as your mind turns over annoying questions, such as: Are your clients going to go out of business? Are you going to go out of business? How are you going to pay the mortgage? Is this all there is?
Now I've heard it said that I can be a bit negative, so here is my guide to PR positivity:
1. The world is relative. And you have better security than most journalists.
2. If you are even halfway good at your job, demand for your services should be increasing. Imagine if you worked in printing – then you've got a problem.
3. Always book your next holiday before you return from your current holiday. It saves that semi-breakdown after each vacation.
4. The rain has its upside. We're all saving a fortune on suncream.
5. Give up the diet/fitness plans. You know you never stick to these regimes, they just make you feel guilty.
6. At least you're not Angela Merkel. Now that lady has a lot on!
7. And if you’re really worried about whether you’re going to keep your job – rebrand! Become a social media consultant ... with a following wind this should get us all at least another five years closer to retirement before we're found out.